Sunday, June 27, 2010

Those Shoes

Surprises were always a sign of love. I know that's why you came. You walked up that dirt path with your head down, hands tucked in your pockets and shuffled a few wood chips out of the way. Our eyes met. My emotions were flooded with confusion and fogged with anger. My eyes scanned your language up and down. Of course you wore those shoes, they were one of my many weaknesses when it came to you. Your smirk caught me, even at a distance, and progressed into a real smile. The one you never showed in photographs. Man. You really have no idea how much I loved you. Your next moves were natural. You slid into the seat across from me and gave me that look. The look of pure confidence that I'll take you back. I always did. You start our conversation with the ending solution already made up. You use the word I waited for. You finally ask the question you always knew the answer to...even when we were younger. Long ago I'd take that solution and hold onto you and I forever. Today I sit still. Looking at you, I noticed my expression hasn't even traveled. I take a sharp stare into your eyes and slightly shake my head. A smile finally painted my face..."No."

No comments:

Post a Comment